Located near a major thoroughfare, the Central Library provides children’s programs, computer classes, free Internet access and information services to the community. During FY 2012 the Central Library circulated 332,857 items. The branch has a security guard on staff.
The Central Library also houses the system Administration offices, including the office of the Library Director, Acquisitions, Technical Services and Programming.
Adult Services Coordinator: Greg Tramel
Youth Services Coordinator: Laura Harper
- 42 computers with Internet, Microsoft Office and Catalog access
- 3 AWE Early Learning Computers
- 2 print stations
- 4 photocopiers
- 2 meeting rooms
- 3 study rooms
- 1 self-checkout station
- typewriter - coin operated $0.25 for 10 minutes
- wireless Internet access - No password required. Printing is not available through wireless access.
Meeting Rooms - 1 large, 1 small
Study Rooms - 1 large, 2 small
- TEXSHARE online databases
- Spanish language collection
Genealogy collection is one of the largest in Texas
Open since 1947
At current location since 1994
Square footage – 50,000 (Public services area 30,000)
Collection Size – 149,859
Circulation – 292,447
Cardholders – 40,828
Staff – 24.5
Library System Statistics
268 Public Internet PCs
2 million items circulated
398,290 patrons served
1948 - year founded
683,000 holdings (book, video, and audio formats combined)
3rd largest genealogical collection in a Texas Public Library
To enrich lives by providing access to information, ideas, and interactions.
In pursuing this mission, the MCMLS values
- awareness of the needs of the citizens;
- ease of access for all individuals;
- diversity of peoples and cultures;
- motivated, knowledgeable, and dedicated staff;
- full utilization of print and non-print technology;
- proactive environment that promotes partnering.